Gold Crown IV

Gold Crown IV
FastMikie's Fun House, Del Mar, California

Monday, November 05, 2007

89 degree cut




The first time I saw this shot made,
I couldn't believe my eyes.

However, the proof is in the video.
And if I can do it, so can you.

The object ball is frozen to the foot rail.
Shoot the cue ball with extreme low right english,
lots of follow through, aiming to hit the rail first,
and the object ball is cut in from behind,
on the rebound off the rail.
When this shot is hit perfectly,
the cue ball comes straight back to the head rail,
and the object ball runs strongly into the pocket.

In this sequence, El Maestro, in the white shirt,
demonstrates first. Then it's my turn (dark shirt).

After you've seen the video clip above,
check out the short one below.
In this one El Maestro challenged me
with the same shot, only tougher.

Every once in a while everything just goes right
and the quality of hit is perfect.

OK, now you've seen it,
and it's your turn to do it...



Video shot on location at
Fast Mikie's Fun House in Del Mar, CA.

(blog top)


2 comments:

Robert Johnson said...

I was surprised you did not know about this shot sooner. An odd thing about this shot is if you hit too hard then the cue ball compresses the rail too much and the timing of the back cut is tougher. My phrase is "more spin than speed". It is possible to cut more than 90 degrees with this trick.

I have a friend who tries to say all cut shots along the rail should be hit with inside English. I disagree. When the cut is not extreme, I avoid spin if possible and try to hit barely rail first and let contact throw sink the object ball.

Be wary of over-sized cue balls. You may need to actually use outside English when you have slight along the rail, to straighten the path out.

Robert Johnson said...

My last sentence should say "slight angle along the rail". An oversized cueball will be hitting the object ball into the rail when the object ball is frozen, so a little outside English will straighten it out along the rail a bit.