Gold Crown IV

Gold Crown IV
FastMikie's Fun House, Del Mar, California

Sunday, January 13, 2008

There's more to life than pool: Home

It was just over 4 years ago
that I got serious about pool.
I let a lot of other things go,
and focused on pool.
It seems I've competed a lot,
and practiced a lot less than I should.
I'm lazy, but that's another story.

This is about not doing pool.
So then what do you do?

Well, in the last 3 months that
I have not been competing,
I have discovered all kinds of other
ways to pass the time of day.

One of the most rewarding of all these,
is my home.
I really enjoy working on my home,
making it a better place to live.
And I really enjoy spending time here.
Sometimes I even hit a few racks.
But it's not about the pool, it's about home.
Even though the pool table takes up
half the space of this little condo,
the pool table is not the only reason to be here.

I call my home
"Mikie's Fun House"
because I want to enjoy every minute I'm here.
And, because I enjoy spending time here,
I spend a lot of time here.
It makes it easy being a hermit.

Back to home.
Since I've been so focused on pool
for the last 4 years,
I haven't spent much time taking care of my home.
Projects were put off.
I was falling behind in my home plans.
But now, with the pool injury layoff,
I have accomplished several major home goals
and a bunch of minor ones.

So I'm thinking that makes Home
an essential part of a balanced life.

Preferably, Home with pool table, of course.

The moral of this story is to
Beware the addictive power of pool,
that it grows in you like a parasite
until your whole life is taken over by it,
even your home is second to it,
and one day you're living under a bridge.

This is not a good thing.
So, would it kill you to stay home
one night a week?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes Mikie, but what would the pool gods say about staying home that one night a week?

Unknown said...

have you ever slept on your pool table or eaten jed clampet style around it? enquiring mind wants to know.