Gold Crown IV

Gold Crown IV
FastMikie's Fun House, Del Mar, California

Thursday, May 26, 2005

The Winner and Still #1

Last night I played Pat B.
in the Triple Play (Masters) format,

a mix of 8 ball and 9 ball games in a race to 7 wins.

I was nervous at first, realizing that a loss
would drop me from the #1 position.
But I followed Tony's Pre-Game checklist,
and settled down and got off to a good start.

As you would expect, Fast Mikie ruled the day, 7-2.


I made some mistakes, however.

I usually do.
In fact, before the match,
I jokingly apoligised to Tony, in advance,

for all of the mistakes that I was surely going to make.
This seemed theraputic, actually,
as it released me to play
a more fluid game.
There was less anguish over decision-making,
knowing that I had already dealt with
the apology for my stupidity.


About two months ago,
I played Pat B. in another match
and won 7-0,
so it looks like Pat is getting better!


One memorable shot in the match required
hitting hard into
a cluster to sink a ball,
and then the 9 ball went in for the win,

completely by accident,
but while I was enjoying the moment,

the cue ball continued another 3 cushions
and scratched, for the loss.

A lot of emotion in just a few seconds!

It seems that I am still #1 in this tournament,
with a perfect record of 7 matches and 7 wins,
but with a slim lead (click here for details).
Didn't I just learn about the fragility of slim leads?

El Maestro, Tony Sorto was there for my match,
and here is his morning-after email:

Everything positive from now on.
You played good last night
including recognising situations,
got to become more fluid.
It was good to see you stayed confident
during the whole match
as this plays a very important part
in your opponent's psychology.

There is still so much to learn.
Back to the practice table...


No comments: