Gold Crown IV

Gold Crown IV
FastMikie's Fun House, Del Mar, California

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Building a Better Practice Routine


I'm lazy.
I avoid work whenever possible.
That's why my practice routine suffers.

And even when I do get to the table,
I am not at all disciplined.
Most of the time I'll just "pile rocks",
with no real focus,
and no time commitment,
no record keeping,
and therefore no way of knowing
if my practice is doing me any good.
So why bother?

That kind of sub-optimal activity (process)
will almost certainly produce sub-optimal results.
Well, I need to do better than that.
And that's one of the reasons for the
Billiard Practice Assistant.

It is intended that having such an assistant
will help in several ways:

1. Time commitment and schedule.
If I hire someone to show up
at a certain time, and to
put me through a series of drills,
then it is CERTAIN
that I will practice more hours.

2. Quality of practice will improve.
The assistant will keep records,
so I will have something to shoot for,
some specific goal for each drill.
This is CERTAIN to improve my skills.

3. M
uscle memory will be improved
because more balls will be hit.
Allen Hopkins says that you need to
hit 2 million balls to achieve
championship level skill.
So, the more balls I can hit per hour
of practice, the faster I can
win the US Amateur championship.

It's all about numbers.
Time spent, balls hit, records kept.
And persistence.

I watched the Mike Sigel training DVD
(Mike Sigel's Perfect Pool Disk #1)
which is available free online at the IPT site.
It's unfortunate that you have to endure
the drivel that goes on between Mike The Mouth
and his criminal sidekick Kevin Trudeau
before you get to the good stuff
you expect from a legend such as Sigel.

This DVD is very basic,
but it teaches some drills that are excellent.

One of the key fundamentals is
the progressive nature of the drills.
I have seen this with the
Progressive Practice Drills
(click for .pdf document showing drills)
offered by Bob Jewett's SFBilliards.com.

Jewett adds another requirement
that the drills be easily quantified
for record keeping
so you can see your progress easily.

These two elements
progressive and quantifiable
will be part of the new practice routine
and subsequent DVD.


No comments: