Gold Crown IV

Gold Crown IV
FastMikie's Fun House, Del Mar, California

Monday, January 30, 2006

Turning Fear into Fun




Here's a shot I have missed so many times
I cringe whenever I get something like it.

The cue ball is frozen to the side rail.
The 8-ball is just off the foot rail.
In order to get the cue ball to come back
for a shot on the 9,
it needs left english.
Since only top spin is available (frozen to rail)
and hitting down with top left
will cause the cue ball to curve
it's a real judgement shot as to how much curve.

Last night, after one more painful miss
in the presence of El Maestro,
he forced me to look deeply into this shot.
I must have tried it 50 times
before I started to "see" the shot,
and sense the curve.

An alternate way to shoot this is with top right
and come off 2, 3 or 4 rails
for shape on the nine,
but that would violate the rule to
"minimize cue ball movement".

I have committed to practice this shot
until all fear is gone,
and until, when I see this shot in a match,
I smile with anticipation of the win!

(blog top)

No comments: