Gold Crown IV

Gold Crown IV
FastMikie's Fun House, Del Mar, California

Friday, January 12, 2007

Practicing Practice

A reader asked me how I practice,
which I figure is a great question,
because I have asked myself that
same question many times.

Here's how I answered him:

My practice sessions are not very disciplined.

Many times I just throw all 15
object balls on the table, randomly,
and then go for the run,
but sometimes I vary the experience with different ideas,
sometimes I try to run them all
from the same side of the table, for example,
or try to run them without the cue ball touching a rail,
or a ball other than the OB.

One thing for sure,
I almost never ignore a missed shot.
When I do miss, I always replay the shot
until I feel comfortable with it.
I feel it is essential to never leave that
negative image of the miss in my mind.

I never practice my 8/9 ball break shots,
first of all because I don't like all the noise,
and second because it seems like work to rack them each time.
How lazy is that!?
;o)

Sometimes I hit all the balls really soft,
other times with strength, confidence.
Sometimes trying a kill shot instead of soft roll...

Sometimes going 2 or 3 rails instead of just one rail
to get position.
Sometimes with reverse english, or none at all,
to see what happens...

Many times I will take the tougher shot,
like cutting a ball down the rail instaed of banking it,
or cutting a ball into the farther-away pocket
instead of the obvious one.

I should definitely practice more bank shots.

If I didn't vary my approach to practice,
I'm sure it would seem like work, or boring,
so I try to keep it interesting.

So, practice for me is not about doing everything right,
but about learning, discovering,
and that never seems to get boring...

Hope that helps.

(blog top)


No comments: