Gold Crown IV

Gold Crown IV
FastMikie's Fun House, Del Mar, California

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

New Super Aramith TV Pro-Cup balls

After 5 years of beating up my set of Brunswick Centennial balls, I splurged on a new set of Super Aramith TV Pro-Cup balls. The first thing I did was weigh each ball, twice, right after unpacking, so there would be no chalk or other schmutz on them to interfere with accuracy. Here are the results:

Weights (using digital scale):

One ball is 168 grams
Eleven balls are 169 grams each (includes the "measle" cue ball)
Four balls are 170 grams each

Yo, Aramith! We can put a man on the moon (so I'm told), but can't make billiard balls of consistent weight? What's up with that?

3 comments:

Robert Johnson said...

Right. I doubt they wouldn't make the "popular balls" slightly heavier (like cue ball, 1, 2, 3) so over time they would wear differently and become the same weight.

I read somewhere people should replace their cue ball every few years to account for the excessive wear on it.

I cannot determine what Aramith says about the precision of their balls. Brunswick says their Centennials are accurate to 1/1000 inch which translates to about 167.7 to 170.3 grams if 169 grams is the norm. Our newer technologies should be able to improve on this.

Pete@CuesportTV said...

It is not possible to have an exact science, the balls are manufactured to certain tolerances, but by the nature that means there will be difference. I am still surprised by your results though.

MAdfox said...

I don't think you can actually feel the 1 gram difference.