Gold Crown IV

Gold Crown IV
FastMikie's Fun House, Del Mar, California

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Why I pay $3.50 instead of 25 cents for chalk

About 5 years ago I was in Las Vegas for the APA team 8-ball national championships, my first-ever exposure to a big pool event. There were lots of companies selling stuff: cues, tables, cases, etc. I stopped at the Longoni table to check out the neat cases, and noticed something called "Blue Diamond" chalk which they were selling for about $3.50 per cube, but you had to buy 2 cubes minimum.

I'm thinking to myself that they gotta be NUTS. What could possibly be so special about a cube of chalk that would make it worth 14 times more than a regular cube of Master chalk, the standard of the industry. Everybody uses Master chalk, right?

Needless to say, I passed on the opportunity to pay such a ridiculous amount for chalk.

Fast-forward 5 years, and I noticed this thread on AZ billiards forum about Blue Diamond chalk. Some people were skeptical, of course, just like me. And others just raved about it. But I still didn't get any.

But in the fullness of time, I finally broke down and ordered some here. It was a pretty girl who pushed me over the edge (what else is new, eh?).

Now that I have been using the stuff for a while, I'm a convert. The stuff is WAY better than Master chalk. I keep the Blue Diamond chalk in my pocket chalk holder for personal use, and I leave the regular old Master chalk out on the table for guests to use. Momma didn't raise no fool...

How is it better? I notice it lasts longer, goes on easier, more completely, in a finer layer, no clumping (especially important in a humid environment), gives better control, less miscues, yadda-yadda-yadda. Check out the AZ link above to see what others say.

So, while I was checking out the Blue Diamond stuff, I also got some Sang Lee chalk to test. I figured that if Sang Lee can do those incredible masse' shots with chalk he recommends, then maybe there's something to it. Not only do I like his chalk better than Master, but it comes in a trick plastic box to keep the stuff from being affected by humidity (the enemy of chalk). Check it out here. Sang Lee chalk is even a bit more expensive than the Blue Diamond.

The latest development in chalk is the NIR Super Professional product by Longoni. I have a box of 3 cubes, but haven't started to test them yet. More on that stuff later.

The bottom line is this: once I know there is something better out there that can help my game, then I just have to use it. Especially if it's only going to cost a few bucks more.

Disclaimer: I don't sell the stuff, and I don't get a commission if you buy it. I just like to share my discoveries. I'm a giver... Enjoy!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's like a drug, isn't it?

J E F R E N said...

as you may or may not know Sang Lee died in 2004 at the age of 51.

http://www.caromtv.com/Remembering%20Sang%20Lee.html


a thread in insidepoolmag.com says that sang lee actually used Master and triangle chalk... and sombody is leasing his name.

http://www.insidepoolmag.com/forums/pool-billiard-discussion-forum/524-masters-v-silver-cup-chalk-2.html

Anonymous said...

I too have heard several raves about Blue Diamond chalk. My big question is that if it sticks so well to a tip, does it stick to your shaft really well too? I mean, I have to clean my shaft about once a week, and if this chalk is going to make it more difficult to clean or keep clean, I would like to know that beforehand. I don't have an issue with cleaning my equipment, I just thought that the extra "stickiness" of the chalk may have an impact on the shaft as well.

Michael McCafferty said...

I have not found that the chalk causes any problems with sticking to the shaft itself. In fact, the chalk does not seem to "stick" so much as it provides better coverage, and more even and consistent coverage.

Anonymous said...

Well, I use, recommend it and I sell it. I have the cheapest prices anywhere, online included. I have it on ebay for $7.75 with free shipping or you can order from me direct at mlacefield@carolina.rr.com. I accept paypal only. Thanks.....

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Because a few delusional individuals, apparently with some DEEP pockets will actually spend the ridiculous amount of money asked for this chalk, THAT YOU NEVER SEE ANY TOUR PROS USING (which really ought'a be an indication), you'll most certainly see to it that the price of every chalk on the market is driven up 900%. It'll start with Tweeten introducing THEIR new performance chalk....called "The Edge". Then they'll quit making Triangle & Master, and the days of paying $10.00 per chalk will be a reality....all because of you few delusional people who really think that this "Blue Diamond" chalk is gonna actually improve your game in some way....

Anonymous said...

Your absolutely right. Blue Diamond chalk, made by Tweeten, for Longoni, is psychologically better because of the price. "You get what you pay" for is the attitude of many.