Gold Crown IV

Gold Crown IV
FastMikie's Fun House, Del Mar, California

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Cue Ball Weights





Yesterday, during a session with Louis Ulrich, we got to talking about draw shots and he mentioned that different cue balls perform differently. For example, the "TV" ball (multiple big red dots) is actually heavier and will not draw as well as the traditional red circle cue ball. That struck me as rather strange, but I was busy practicing my power draw (such as it is... or isn't), so I just let it go.

Today, I'm practicing my power draw, using some of the pointers Louis gave me, and I remembered what he was saying about the cue ball differences, so I decided to give it some further analysis. I whipped out my digital scale and sure enough, the TV ball is 169 grams, 3 grams heavier than the red circle (166 grams). Amazing! Next, I whipped out my calipers and I'll be darned... the TV ball is actually bigger! Not by much, but it's bigger. It was a fair test; both balls were very clean, and both had almost zero time on them.

Bottom line, the red circle ball will draw better!

Thanks Louis!

Further testing shows the Centennial Blue circle cue ball and the Aramith logo cue ball are both 167 grams. Continued searching found another red circle cue ball that was only 165 grams.

I there any quality control at all in the cue ball manufacturing business?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

It would be interesting to also check the coin table balls, Valley (magnetic), Standard (magnetic), Aramith (magnetic) green A, Over size used on some older coin op tables. Then there are the different practice Q balls. Nothing like being thorough

Michael McCafferty said...

Ricky... it would be interesting, but those types of balls are missing from my collection. You send 'em and I'll weigh and measure 'em!

GeoEnvi said...

How much difference in draw will result from a 3 gm (.1 ounce) difference in cue ball weight?

I would argue that a larger diameter ball might draw better, given a slightly larger area to contact with a draw stroke. You could contact the ball farther away from the center of gravity and thus result in more backspin.

Robert Johnson said...

Another factor in draw/follow is "grip" between balls and cloth. My friend has the same Gold Crown 4 as you, with a spotted cue ball and Aramith (non-TV colored) balls. He has cleaned the cloth so much with "Chalk Off" that I think (not sure) the cloth might have become more slippery than normal. The balls are cleaned, but rarely. On humid days, the balls cling. I find it a bit difficult to do good follow or draw due to the slippery cloth with clingy balls.

Michael McCafferty said...

robert...

I hadn't considered the humidity and "stickiness" factors, but you're right. I also use Chalk Off. I'm looking forward to getting new cloth so I can see what is possible.