Gold Crown IV

Gold Crown IV
FastMikie's Fun House, Del Mar, California

Friday, July 06, 2007

You Can't Win If You Don't Play

I didn't shoot pool last night,
first time in 8 weeks.
Something about me going up in skill level,
and one other team member going up to a 4,
and that would put us over 23 points for the team
if we both played,
and they need to get 10 games,
and I already have my 10,
so I can't play.
It's all mathy.

Because I didn't play,
I couldn't win,
and so I slipped in the standings to second best.
One other player (Jess Libsack) in San Diego now
has equalled my 7 wins, undefeated,
but he has 2 more total points, so technically,
while his record is just as perfect as mine,
his perfect is in one way better.
He leads his division, I lead mine.
Maybe we will match up in the City Championships,
if our teams win.
It would be an epic clash of Titans.
That would be fun!!

The good news is that last night our team
had to play where there is lots of cigarette smoke.
So I'm real happy I didn't have to endure that.

(blog top)


2 comments:

Robert Johnson said...

That guy Jess is in division 014 and you are in 045. Out here, they only consider the top performer from each division. We do not compare them against each other. But, our scoring method for Top Performer is different too. We merely consider Matches Won divided by Matches Played, for people who played at least half the weeks of the session. So, out here, you can win 7 of 7 or 10 of 10 in a 13 week session, and both would share the Top Performer spot, having won 100% of their games. (Usually top performers just wins 8 of 9 (88%) or something like that.)

Michael McCafferty said...

I definitely agree, Robert, the other guy is in a totally different division and we don't compete directly, but I have a tendency to create competition if it doesn't exist...

A year or so ago I figured that it would be best for me to compete in the San Diego area before I left town to find better players. So the idea is to be the best here first, but since I can't play everyone in San Diego, I'm looking for another standard to decide if I'm at that level before I attack Los Angeles!

;o)

FM