Gold Crown IV

Gold Crown IV
FastMikie's Fun House, Del Mar, California

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Flashback #1: Staying down with a little help from my friends

For most of the day I have been replaying some of the happenings from last night's learning experience with Johnny and Earl. No, I wasn't replaying the video... I haven't looked at any of it yet... just replaying some of the more memorable scenes that are sticking in my head. Here's one of the more vivid:

We are dealing with my draw shot, and Earl notices that I'm moving my body when I shoot, and is telling me that I don't need to use a lot of force or power to get a lot of long distance draw, it's all technique he says. I know this, says I... sure I know it's not power, because girls can do it. Allison Fisher can power draw the length of the table, so I know it isn't power. Of course it's technique, but exactly WHAT technique, what am I not doing, what should I be doing?

The basic flaw is that I'm not staying down through the shot, so Earl comes over and stands behind me and holds down my upper stroke arm and tells me to shoot the long draw shot without moving my arm. Then Johnny gets into it and comes over and puts his hand firmly on my head, holding me down.

Are you getting the picture here? I got Johnny Archer and Earl Strickland holding me down while I try to shoot! Can ANYBODY shoot in that situation? Hey, why not just put me in a body cast?

It was just too funny, but at the same time it was totally serious, so I tried to stifle the laughs and just did what they said, and I'll be darned if it didn't work. Not perfect, not even great, but it worked, and it gave me the indication of what I need to do to get the job done. It will take many hours of practice, I'm sure.

There are more flashbacks, and I'll get around to writing about them sooner or later.


No comments: