Gold Crown IV

Gold Crown IV
FastMikie's Fun House, Del Mar, California

Sunday, May 07, 2006

The Longest Game


Today was a challenge match
in preparation for the US Amateurs.
The format is both 8-ball and 9-ball.
Winner of the lag calls the game,
or gets to break first.
I lost the lag, he chose the break.
I chose 8-ball.

That first game of 8-ball was a killer.
We played more consecutive safeties
than I can remember ever playing.
El Maestro was watching,
and he said it was 27 safeties,
and he could be right.
It felt like a hundred.

My head was completely gone,
because on one safety,
I hit the 8-ball first,
INTENTIONALLY!
Of course, that's about the stupidest
thing I could do,
because it gives up ball-in-hand.

I don't even remember who won that game.
I was just happy it finally ended.

I did go on to win the match 7-3.
But I need a lot more practice!


(blog top)

1 comment:

Robert Johnson said...

Mike, you probably know this, but hitting the wrong ball first is not always the stupidest thing to do. If your odds of making the hit on your ball are very slim, and you will likely give up ball in hand anyway, then you need to reduce his runout odds. You can try to move the 8 ball to the rail near the side pocket, or cluster groups of his balls, or combo your ball toward a pocket to steal it, perhaps sinking his duck in the process.