Gold Crown IV

Gold Crown IV
FastMikie's Fun House, Del Mar, California

Friday, June 26, 2009

Giving new meaning to shooting "lights out"

Dan S. happened to be in town on business and was looking to get a bit of dinner, before he made the long drive home, so we hit the local sushi joint. Dan didn't say anything about shooting pool, and he knows I'm retired from serious competition, so I took advantage of the situation to enjoy some sake with my sushi. (Ordinarily I never drink anything alcoholic if I'm going to play some pool.) Dan decided to abstain from the sake, concerned about mixing drink and driving.

We had a leisurely meal, and I finished a nice flagon of hot sake, and that's when the devious devil Dan challenges me to shoot a bit of straight pool, knowing I'm a pushover when it comes to my favorite game... I'll play any time, any place, any opponent. The thought crossed my mind that Dan would definitely have the upper hand due to the element of surprise, my sake-soaked brain, and my lack of table time. Surprisingly, it didn't turn out that way.

Just as we started, one of the 6 lights over the table went dead, and in the middle of the game, another light went dead. Both of these lights were at the head of the table, which doesn't get a lot of use in straight pool. I didn't bother fitting some new bulbs, because I didn't want to interrupt the game! However, when you are shooting a long shot on the 8 (or 4, or 6) into the dark end of the table, it gets interesting. The only good thing, as Dan remarked, is that the pockets usually stay in the same place.

The match went well for me, and I won easily 100 - 70.

I wonder if the sake loosened me up? I played my share of safeties, but I also made some seriously strange shots, including a double off-angle combination involving four balls. It was a beauty! Sometimes wacko shots just look so right. Did the sake enhance my imagination to see such a weird shot?

I can't believe I'm even asking the question, but should I start drinking before pool?

3 comments:

Robert Johnson said...

I can't believe I am answering. I usually have some beer, but not an excessive amount. I prefer a particular brand, otherwise my game goes downhill. My habits come from the APA environment where drinking and pool are usually inseparable. Beer tends to dull distractions around me (like side comments or heavy metal music from a jukebox). I am not sure if it helps to keep my stroke relaxed or if it helps prevent me from jumping up on my stroke.

It probably doesn't help, but it can make things more challenging, and I always like a good challenge.

Anonymous said...

yeah, u should...it worked great for mccready... :P

Unknown said...

Hey there, nice post on billiards. If you need any pool tables or accessories please come check us out.

- Mark