Gold Crown IV

Gold Crown IV
FastMikie's Fun House, Del Mar, California

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Just a little bit rusty


Tried my hand at a pool tournament today.  Last time I played in this tournament (or *any* pool tournament) was 21 months ago.  I won it back then, as I had won it twice before.

This time, I went undefeated in the two warm-up matches, and undefeated in the 6 matches to get into the finals, and then missed two shots to lose and come in second.  Bummer, of course, but I really wasn't figuring I was going to win it all this time as I had done zero serious practice in almost two years!

I also noticed that I was nervous before the tournament and for several of the first matches.  It's really important to play in tournaments and match-ups to get "tournament tough".

The next tournament is in 3 months.  I should practice...


(top)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael. LOVE reading about your pool exploits. I bought a Herman Rambow cue way back in 1964 for $47.00! Played with it for years. I remember Herman Rambow handing me the cue with my name and his written right on the butt. Played with it for years then stopped playing. Now I am retired and have fallen back in love with straight pool and my Rambow cue all over again. I have enjoyed your writing as well as your videos on YouTube. Keep writing and playing.

Michael McCafferty said...

You are a lucky man to have such a prized cue, and still more fortunate to be shooting straight pool with it after all these years! Straight pool is my favorite game, so if you ever get to SoCal, maybe we can play a few racks here at the Fun House, or nearby... Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

SoCal is a Looooong way from Indiana. But if I ever find myself out your way, I bring Mr. Rambow along and we'll play!

ZENMAN

Jarrod said...

Glad to see you're back in action! I lost interest in pool a couple years ago too. I was a frequent visitor to your blog when I played all the time. I recently started to regain interest in the game again. You inspire me to practice more and get my game back where it was. I look forward to reading your new pool adventures as you get your game tuned back up too.