Gold Crown IV

Gold Crown IV
FastMikie's Fun House, Del Mar, California

Thursday, January 01, 2009

There's more to life than pool: Natural Phenomena!



Tony and I were playing some 8-ball.  As usual, in the late afternoon, I had the vertical blinds pulled tight to block the glare off the ocean, but I always try to stay tuned in to when sunset happens so I can check for such phenomena as the "Green Flash", and the great colors.  

And so it was that just after sunset on 12/30/2008, I opened the blinds and was shocked and awed by this enormous fog bank that appeared out of nowhere and moved from south to north within minutes. The height of the fog bank was about 400-500 feet. In the background to the right, you can see another part of the fog bank, far off shore. It was spectacular to watch it move. Within 5 minutes visibility was reduced to less than 100' as the fog enveloped everything.

It looked like some photos I've seen of an enormous dust storm moving across an open desert, or some huge alien life form devouring the planet.  I grabbed this photo, and then quickly set up the video camera to try to capture the movement.  

When people have nothing else to talk about, the conversation usually gets around to the weather, but there's really very little to talk about on that subject.  However, today was a different story!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

and when you captured that movement, did you upload that video anywhere? I bet people would like to see that :-)

Anonymous said...

I found myself riding in and out of a few of those last night returning from my Motorcycle trip to Big Sur ... trippy, cold & scary.
All worth it though for the majestic ride.