Gold Crown IV

Gold Crown IV
FastMikie's Fun House, Del Mar, California

Monday, October 06, 2008

FastMikie Teaches - and Learns

This past weekend, two new students visited the Fun House for their first, possibly only, lesson.  Both of them had been shooting pool for about a year, both having no formal instruction in billiards.  

It was like looking at myself, 5 years ago.  I could see in them the challenges I had, and I could see how much I have learned, and I could also see how much work it will take to grow beyond their existing level.  

The teacher may Teach, but the student must Do.  It is only by much practice that any Learning can take place.  The teacher can only offer ideas and suggestions, but the student learns nothing without many hours of focused practice.

It is said that "The Teacher Teaches What He Needs To Learn".  A major revelation of this past weekend's teaching is just how painful and challenging it must have been for El Maestro during those early years when he was teaching me.   Gracias, El Maestro.   Namaste'.

No comments: