Gold Crown IV

Gold Crown IV
FastMikie's Fun House, Del Mar, California

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

New Cloth Project

The tournament this past weekend was played on Gold Crown III tables with tournament BLUE Simonis cloth. The good news is that I really liked the way the tables played with that cloth. And since it's time for new cloth on my table, I figured I'd check into the blue. So I left a message on AZ Billiards forum to see if others have some experience with the blue cloth. What a great response! Here's the thread.


I hadn't even thought about Simonis 760, which is faster than 860, so I went to the Simonis website to fill in some blanks, and that was very informative too.

So I figured, why not just call Simonis and talk to a human being, right? What a pleasant surprise... a very nice voice named Felice answered all my questions very capably.

Simonis 860 and 760 are same price. The 760 is faster, designed for straight pool (my favorite) and is made of 70% wool and 30% nylon. The 860 is designed for 9 ball and is made of 90% wool and 10% nylon. The HR cloth is only made in 860 designation, it stands for High Resistance, and it is a thicker cloth but manufactured in the 760 blend but not sheared as flat, so it's slower and plays at the 860 speed.

Felice confirms that 760 would be better in a humid environment, such as my place, and the tournament blue will be better for video. She even recommended a person to install it that is near me. (In Long Beach, Mike at 562-397-6755.)

The tournament blue 760 sounds like what I want.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Give this guy a call 858-335-4828 I think his name is Paul. He did the tables at the San Marcos Senior Center with that cloth. He is located in East county, El Cajon?

Robert Johnson said...

The thing I remember most at Ultimate Billiards in Berlin, CT for the 2004 US Amateur Championship was the exciting blue cloth on each Diamond Pro table. It made my heart beat a bit stronger, like a beautiful woman or a gourmet meal. I asked a player what it was, and he thought it was Electric Blue.

I just visited the Simonis website and compared colors. I do not know if the color was actually Electric Blue or Tournament Blue. Maybe you could call Ultimate Billiards and ask? Or ask Simonis about the difference in Electric Blue and Tournament Blue?