Gold Crown IV

Gold Crown IV
FastMikie's Fun House, Del Mar, California

Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Wall of Heroes


(click for the big picture)

Recent upgrades to the workout area include the addition of a "Wall of Heroes" featuring posters of some of my favorite people. You probably recognize most of them, starting in the upper left corner of the wall: Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, the "Rat Pack", Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (Paul Newman & Robert Redford), Gandhi, Miyamoto Musashi, Einstein, James Dean, Charles Lindbergh, Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford), Easy Rider (Peter Fonda & Jack Nicholson), and the Blues Brothers (Dan Akroyd and John Belushi). Each has some personality or talent that I strongly relate to, either in real life or a character they play.

When I'm working out doing floor exercises (yoga, stretching, etc) or on the treadmill, and watching pool competition and/or training videos, I also am reminded of these men and what their characters mean to me. Hopefully, with prolonged exposure to the images, I may begin to become what I admire.

Notice the empty spaces for heroes to be added later.

The only thing about the Wall of Heroes that is pool related is the poster of the Rat Pack, gathered around a pool table. Maybe you have seen this poster and noticed that there is one glass of booze on the rail, and one directly on the cloth. It's obvious these guys did not take their pool seriously.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

JUST A SMALL CORRECTION : EASY RIDER IS DENNIS HOPPER AND PETER FONDA

Michael McCafferty said...

It's true that Dennis Hopper is in the film, and that he starts out as Peter Fonda's riding partner, but the add Jack Nicholson to the ride after they get arrested. Nicholson was the ACLU lawyer.

On my wall, I prefer to think of Jack Nicholson as one of my heroes rather than Dennis Hopper.