Gold Crown IV

Gold Crown IV
FastMikie's Fun House, Del Mar, California

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Nine ball close call

Every once in a while
somebody gets to feeling strong
and challenges me to a match...

Like yesterday, with nine-ball.
The first set went my way, score 9-4.
But in the second set,
my killer instinct went to sleep,
and Mike R. got ahead 7-4
before I woke up my inner junk yard dog,
and I came back with five games in a row
to win 9-7.

Whew!

Which is more powerful,
the love of winning
or the hatred of losing?

One thing is for sure,
the last man standing
didn't get there with apathy.

That keeps my undefeated streak going.
But I know the young guns are out there,
sharpening their skills
for the day they feel strong enough to take me.
And that's why I need to keep practicing.

There is no rest for the weary...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm speechless don't know weather all pool shooters think the same or this may be a thought process to achieve small or larger goals in the pool game of life. As I read your writings, and all of the thoughts come pouring back in my head. And of my teachers verbalization of his thoughts as a master pool player Johnny the legend everlean and the other extreme Mark Moore from dayton area both told me the same. Your writings are a truly a gift. Keep up the great work for all pool players of the world. Your friend and soon to be appointed. in SW Florida BOA!