Gold Crown IV

Gold Crown IV
FastMikie's Fun House, Del Mar, California

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

I need a vacation!

Yesterday was the first full day back home
after being on the road for a week.
It is SO good to be back at the Fun House,
to wake up in my own bed again
to breathe fresh ocean air,
yadda, yadda, yadda...

But what is best of all is that
the pool year is over.
The Fast Mikie pool year, that is.

My year revolves around the
US Amateur Championships,
just ended.
For the past 4 months I have been
focused on that one event,
and now that it's behind me,
I get the opportunity to relax.

I feel like the Terminator,
One-armed and battered after confronting the T-1000
The Terminator utters those immortal words:
"I need a vacation!"
Here it is in 5 seconds of video, with quote.

Yesterday I tried to put it all into perspective.
It seems like an appropriate time to ask
"Where do I go from here?"

Contrary to a recent post,
I'm not going to quit the game.
(And besides, I didn't get any offers for my gear!)
But there will be some changes.
My thoughts of August 1, 2007
have not changed.
So I'll be taking a break from league play.
In fact, I'll probably take a break from pool,
serious pool competition, that is.
A pool vacation, maybe through January.

I'd like to spend some time doing some OTHER stuff,
the stuff I put on hold to be serious about pool.
Like party with friends,
get some time on the beach,
doing some freestyle Frisbee.

One of the things I like most about freestyle Frisbee
is that there is no score,
no winner, no loser,
just pure play.

There is no stress to remain undefeated.
There are no team members counting on me.
There is no schedule to adhere to.
I get to breathe fresh air, soak up the sun,
play in the surf, get some exercise.
And think of the money I'll save:
Frisbees are a lot cheaper than cues.

I found freestyle Frisbee about 28 years ago,
and it is probably the one thing which
helped me endure the 40 years of
The Dark Ages of No Pool.

Here is
My Frisbee Page


I can taste the fresh air already.
I'm heading down to the beach...

(but, like The Terminator, "I'll be back!")

(blog top)


No comments: