Gold Crown IV

Gold Crown IV
FastMikie's Fun House, Del Mar, California

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Gimmie a break!

The words from Bob Dylan's hit
"Just Like a Woman"
keep running through my head:
"... but she breaks just like a little girl."

And that's kinda how I've been feeling
about my own break lately.
In my last match I scratched
4 times on the break!
That makes it a whole lot tougher to win matches,
and makes "Seven" unnecessarily more difficult.

El Maestro has been pushing me to break
using my playing stick, not the X-breaker,
and to shoot into the second ball in the rack
instead of head on.
I was doing ok with that break on my 9' table,
but the match last week was on an 8' table,
and it seemed more difficult to hit the 2nd ball clean.
Maybe the angle of incidence is narrower
because the table is narrower.
So maybe I gotta hit it with more low left...

What I do know is that when I finally stop
hitting the break like a little girl,
I'll definitely be playing better pool.

My break challenges probably come from
my upbringing in the game of straight pool
where there is no heavy breaking.

One more thing to learn,
and to perfect.

(blog top)


2 comments:

Robert Johnson said...

The side English might be deflecting the cue ball so it might not barely miss the head ball. I don't bother with side English on the break. I use a rail bridge from the left side, since I am right handed. If the cue ball is over-sized, a side break can be risky.

Anonymous said...

I am a woman and have a powerful break. I can break form the side rail or from the box.