Gold Crown IV

Gold Crown IV
FastMikie's Fun House, Del Mar, California

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Another slow start




Good day on the Fun House table:
Straight pool win 100-80.
Eight ball win 7-4.
Nine ball win 7-3.
Zero matches lost.

That is the good news.
The bad news is that,
in the the first match (straight pool),
I lost the lag and broke,
and he ran the table,
and went on to get 35 balls ahead
of my measley 5 points.
It could have been a disaster
if I hadn't turned it around to win by 20.
The key is that I got off to a slow start,
and this has characterized other matches
where I lost.

So I really need to focus on a solution.
I need to find a way
to be fully concentrated from the first shot.

El Maestro and I will be working on this.

Other than that,
I felt good and played good pool,
and I know I'm getting better all the time.

(blog top)


1 comment:

Robert Johnson said...

Do you do some warmup shots before playing? Like aiming long shots to a corner pocket, bank shots, draw shots, and shots to check your cueball positioning? I found it only takes me less than a minute for that, and makes a big difference when I start my match.

My friend down the road has a Gold Crown 4. He invites me over every couple weeks. He captains our 9ball team. We start with APA 8 ball (5-3 race), then straight pool (50-30 race), then APA 9 ball (65-38 race).

He uses Chalk Off after every session so the cloth is extra clean. It's sort of hard for me to adjust because I play on dirty pool hall tables and bar tables almost all the time.