Gold Crown IV

Gold Crown IV
FastMikie's Fun House, Del Mar, California

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Straight pool mystery


El Maestro himself appeared at Mikie's Fun House yesterday
and we got right into some 8-ball.
He won all 3 races-to-7 by a wide margin.

With half an hour remaining before he had to leave,
I suggested we play some straight pool.

He broke, and I ran 15.
He ran 14.
Then I ran 25.
And then it was time for him to leave.

On his way out, he was still wondering why
I can be so good at straight pool
and have such trouble with 8-ball.

Truly a mystery...

Could it be simply because I enjoy straight pool
more than I like playing 8-ball?
That's probably one good reason.

One thing I like about straight pool is the freedom.
I can shoot any ball,
rather than being limited to stripes or solids.

Also, position is easier because I don't need
to pick my way around balls that are not in play.

And, I like that it is a longer game than 8-ball.
I like the idea of the potential for long runs
rather than being limited to 8 maximum.

Another thing about straight pool:
there is none of that macho breaking action.
I like the gentle nature of straight pool
where clusters are broken up with quiet precision
rather than a Big Bang.
And, because of the break in 8-ball,
Luck plays a big role in the outcome of a short game.
Skill, and endurance, takes a bigger role in straight pool.

I'll bet Efren likes straight pool better than 8...

(blog top)


No comments: